… is an exciting, national refashioning competition, open to the public! Castaway to Couture is brought to you by the Australian Sewing Guild Ltd. and major sponsor Baby Lock Australia.
To read more about this initiative, use the links to navigate through the information. Check it out and fire up those sewing machines.
- ENTER & VOTE
- Photographing Your Work
- Judging Criteria
- Blog Buttons & Images to help get those votes!
- Before and After Pic Tips
- What does ‘refashion’ mean?
- Refashioning Hints & Tips
- Terms & Conditions
- Still have a Question?
- Buy a garment (or a few) at any Op Shop, or raid your wardrobe, and snap a ‘before’ pic.
- Use your awesome sewing skills to refashion it into something new.
- Take photos during the construction stage and of the finished garment.
- Submit photos to firstname.lastname@example.org with a short description (maximum 500 words) of the design inspiration, construction process and garment purpose. Photos will be posted to the ASG Blog.
- Ask your friends to vote for you and vote for your favourite re-fashions.
- Use a single garment or multiple garments. Tablecloths, sheets, doonah covers, curtains, etc. are not allowed as they are a ‘flat’ canvas.
- The end result must be a garment that can be worn on the body. Accessories are allowed but only as a compliment to the garment and must be submitted as a single entry with the garment.
- If using multiple garments, a maximum of three (3) garments can be used to produce a single entry. Be sure to photograph all garments before commencing work.
- Use as much of the garment(s) as possible to create your entry – think sustainability.
Example: Don’t purchase 3 garments and use only 50% of each garment.
- Lolly wrappers, plastic bags, Styrofoam balls, etc. are not allowed. This is not a re-cycling or wearable art competition. You are meant to showcase your creativity in a sewing context.
- You can enhance your entry with additional fabric, lining and trims but at least 90% of the finished product should come from the original garment(s).
If using zippers or buttons as a decorative feature, they must be from the original garment(s).
Functional zippers, used as a closure only, can be purchased new.
- Submit as many entries as you wish.
- Submit a before and after picture as one image. This image should show the original garment(s) and a front and back view of the re-fashioned garment. This is the image that will be posted to the ASG Blog for viewers to cast their vote. See Before & After Pic Tips for more info.
- Additional photos to be submitted for judges:
- maximum of six (6) photos during the construction stage
- minimum of two (2) and maximum of four (4) photos of the inside of the finished garment
- maximum of five (5) close-up photos of garment detail
- one (1) photo of all left-over pieces not used in your competition entry
- Remember the photos will be used by the judges to select the 8 finalists. If you put a lot of work into making your garment, be sure to submit photos that do it justice.
There will be five prize packs awarded. Two will be awarded to the judge’s choice and two will be awarded to viewers’ choice. The fifth prize is awarded to the most dramatic change to a SINGLE garment. This will be picked by a panel of ASG experts, based on photos and descriptions submitted.
Judges will pick eight (8) finalists, based on photos and descriptions submitted. Finalists will be asked to post their entry to the address provided. All garments will be used for display purposes at Craft Shows around Australia for the period of six (6) months, being July to December 2017. At the end of this period, all garments will be returned at no additional cost to the entrant.
Viewers’ choice will be based only on photos submitted and determined by number of votes.
Judges’ choice first prize:
- Baby Lock Eclipse DX Overlocker valued at $1595
Judges’ choice second prize:
- The Pattern Drafter, valued at $250
- Spotlight or Lincraft voucher, winner’s choice (donated by Chillipop), valued at $250
- Gift voucher from Thread Den, valued at $50
Viewers’ choice first prize:
- Lutterloh Pattern Making System, valued at $180
- Gift voucher from Brave Fabrics, valued at $75
Viewers’ choice second prize:
Most dramatic transformation of a single garment:
- 1-year Sewing With Style program with image consultant Anne Whalley, valued at $375
- Initial analysis of your style
- Four (4) seasons of sewing coaching & mentoring
- Advice with selecting your best patterns & fabric
- Personally tailored program, delivered electronically
The Castaway to Couture competition is open to all Australians and New Zealanders. Don’t be put off that this is the Australian Sewing Guild – we truly welcome anyone who loves to sew!
- The garment(s) must be wearable, functional and suitable for purpose
- Materials, textures and colours are in unity with function
- Shows individuality and creativity in choice of materials, textures, colours and applied design
- Suitable finishing techniques used throughout garment(s)
- Well made, clean and well presented
Of course, you’ll want to get as many votes as you can! The easiest way to get the word out is to use social media to your advantage. We have created some images, free for you to use, to help you get people voting. They will work for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and anything else! You can start to build interest by posting progress pics and using the hashtag #castawaytocouture. And if you blog, we even have some buttons for your sidebar!
Pop over to the ASG Blog to pick up your buttons and images.
Getting a great picture will help show your work at its finest! We have a photo guide that helps you get a wonderful shot, whether you are using a camera or a phone, just click here to read. We do require that you submit a before and after pic as one image. Some of you will have access to Photoshop or other great photo editing software but there is no need to panic if you don’t! There are a tonne of free photo editing or collaging options out there. If you have one you already use, just go with that but if photo collaging is new to you, we have some suggestions:
Photos submitted should be a minimum of 1024 pixels x 768 pixels.
We wish you happy snapping and collaging! If you really get into trouble, shoot an email off to email@example.com and we will try to give you a hand.
to give a new form to (something)
It seems that the heart of refashioning is about two things; reusing materials and therefore lessening conspicuous consumption, and the enjoyment of creating something new from something old and embracing the creative process. Either way, refashioning is about recreation. There are so many simple but clever ways to make the unwearable, wearable and then there is complete and utter reinvention. We just can’t wait to see what you choose to do!
There really can be no right or wrong when it comes to creative vision. But if you are in need of a little inspiration there are some fabulous refashioning blogs out there. Here are just a few:
As a Castaway to Couture entrant, you must adhere to the following terms and conditions. Failure to act in accordance with these terms and conditions may result in your entry being disqualified.
Our friendly team are always happy to help, just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. As you can imagine, we are spinning our bobbins pretty fast right now but someone will have your question all stitched up within 48hrs!
Win this Eclipse DX overlocker
from Baby Lock Australia
How to enter
- Click the link below to open the entry form and then download it.
- Complete the form - ALL fields must be completed
- Save the form as a PDF and mail it to the address shown on the form, together with your photos.
All entries must be submitted by
11.00pm 31st May 2017
Be sure to read the Terms and Conditions for full details
of entry requirements