FORMAT - Hands-on
TUTOR - Cathy Sotiriou (read about tutor) firstname.lastname@example.org
SKILL LEVEL - intermediate level or above (i.e. able to confidently insert a zipper, comfortable working with chiffon-type fabric)
PRE-WORKSHOP PREPARATION - Catherine will provide a commercial pattern for a simple straight skirt. Using this pattern, participants must make a calico toile, with a zipper, and bring it to the class.
WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION - In this 2-day workshop you will be adapting a straight skirt pattern into gored skirt, adding fullness to the skirt hemline with godets and attaching a petticoat at waistline. You decide the number of gores, up to 12, to determine the fullness.
At the start of the workshop, you will make any adjustments required to perfect the fitting of the toile made earlier. This will then become your block pattern.
From there you will jump into altering the pattern to create the gored skirt. Upon pattern completion you will then construct the skirt. The completed skirt will have gores with godets, and an attached petticoat. The skirt hem will be embellished with an overlocked rolled hem finish.
STUDENT SUPPLY LIST:
- Straight skirt pattern - purchased from tutor
- Extra toile fabric for fitting adjustments
- Fashion fabric for skirt - must be 140cm or wider and no directional designs. Tutor will advise quantity and appropriate fabric types.
- Fabric for skirt petticoat - approximately 2 x skirt length. cotton batiste or tricot
- Iron-on interfacing for waistband - approximately 20cm
- Tape measure
- Several different coloured pens and/or pencils
- Paper scissors
- Sharpie - black
- 1m ruler
- 30cm ruler or gridded ruler if you have one
- 15cm ruler
- Scotch magic tape - large roll
- Tracing wheel
- 2 x 30m roll greaseproof paper from supermarket
- Sharp glass head pins or wonder clips
- Fabric scissors or cutting mat with rotary cutter
- Seam ripper
- Thread snips
- Non-permanent marker
- Hand sewing needle
- 18-20 cm invisible zip OR Elastic (3/4-1inch) enough to go around waist
- Thread to match fabric
- 1 x decorative thread to match fabric for rolled hem eg Robison Anton machine embroidery thread or woolly nylon . Not heavier than normal sewing thread.
- Overlocker thread. Grey, black, cream and white will be provided. If you want the threads to match the petticoat you will need to bring 4 x colour of overlocker thread.
- Machine needles to match fabric type
- Spare bobbins x 3
- Zigzag presser foot
- Invisible zipper foot (if inserting a zipper at the waist)
- Straight stitch plate if you have one (optional)
- General sewing notions
SEWING MACHINE REQUIRED | OVERLOCKER PROVIDED